posted Dec 23, 2012, 2:21 PM by German Evers
updated Feb 3, 2013, 3:53 PM by Mexican Beer
A explanation on how simple it is to cut glass bottles. You can cut glass bottles at home using materials you probably already have on hand. Of course we do mexican beer here making our own Corona glasses We need following items:
yarn (thread made of natural fibers and used for knitting and weaving)
nail polish remover
sink full of ice water
1. Wrap the cotton yarn around your bottle 5-6 times, tie and cut
ends. You can also braid three pieces together and tie that around the
2. Slide yarn off of the bottle.
3. Dip yarn in nail polish remover. Make sure it was fully saturated.
4. Slide the wet yarn back onto the bottle. NOTE: The bottle will be cut wherever you place the yarn, so make sure it is as straight as possible.
5. Holding the bottle sideways from the mouth, light the yarn on fire.
****Please please be careful!****
Only the wet yarn will be lit on fire and the flame is very well controlled.
6. Rotate the bottle in circles as the yarn is on fire for 20-30 seconds so that all parts of the bottle warm evenly.
7. Holding each end of the bottle, submerge in cold water and watch the bottle parts separate.
8. Use sand paper to smooth rough edges.
The hardest part about this project is getting the cut in the right spot. Because the Corona logo goes up so high, you don’t have much room to work with. The glass on the neck of the bottle is thicker and harder to cut using this method, so it took a few tries for me to get the desired results. It was worth it though!
You can make more than just drinking glasses. Think vases and candle holders too! This method is supposed to work on wine bottles too
Image credits and content compiled of 365 days of Pinterest / Kirsten